Bob Boilen Spins the Latest and Greatest on NPR’s All Songs Considered

"All Songs Considered" is an NPR podcast for music lovers. Photo courtesy of NPR
“All Songs Con­sid­ered” is an NPR pod­cast for music lovers. Pho­to cour­tesy of NPR

My favorite pod­cast is NPR’s “All Songs Con­sid­ered,” host­ed by Bob Boilen. Boilen direct­ed NPR’s “All Songs Con­sid­ered” for 18 years but in 2000, he launched “All Songs Con­sid­ered” because, “It was obvi­ous to me that lis­ten­ers of NPR were also lovers of music, but what also became obvi­ous by 1999 was that the web was going to be the place to dis­cov­er new music and that we want­ed to be the pre­miere site for music discovery.”

All Songs Con­sid­ered” focus­es on music in all aspects — Boilen spins new and yet-to-be-released tracks, talks about musi­cal events, and occa­sion­al­ly has guests. In this par­tic­u­lar episode, Boilen talked about his trip to Nashville’s Amer­i­cana Music Fes­ti­val, and spun tracks from folk singers Damien Rice and Leonard Cohen, shoegaze band Med­i­cine, and rock­a­bil­ly musi­cians Car­oli­na Rose (and more!).

It’s an engag­ing pod­cast, but “All Songs Con­sid­ered” can be a bit cum­ber­some — it usu­al­ly clocks in at around 30 min­utes (this par­tic­u­lar episode was 39 min­utes). Most of the time is due to the fact that Boilen always plays full songs. Boilen has a pleas­ant radio voice, and it’s inter­est­ing to hear com­men­tary about the music from a knowl­edgable per­son. I espe­cial­ly like how he tries so hard to main­tain vari­a­tion in music styles. Being an NPR pod­cast, it’s beau­ti­ful­ly and expert­ly pro­duced- very clean.

I lis­tened to this par­tic­u­lar episode on my lap­top, but I occa­sion­al­ly lis­ten to it on my iPhone before bed.

I would lis­ten to oth­er pod­casts by NPR any­time — I love the orga­ni­za­tion. The only prob­lem is find­ing the time…because every­thing they have is a bit lengthy.

I lis­tened to this episode while doing home­work. It made for good back­ground music.

In gen­er­al, I think pod­casts have a lot of poten­tial. I love radio and am inter­est­ed in work­ing in the indus­try, so I think pod­casts are great way to pre­serve the medi­um. They’re kind of like radio’s Net­flix — lis­ten when you what to listen.