UConn CLAS Average SAT Scores Since 2000 Have Not Changed Drastically, Other Application Factors Are Important As Well

A bar graph showing the average SAT scores for CLAS since 2000. Created by infogr.am.com: https://infogr.am/-9138893804047257
A bar graph show­ing the aver­age  math and ver­bal SAT scores for UConn Col­lege of Lib­er­al Arts and Sci­ences since 2000. Infor­ma­tion col­lect­ed by the UConn Office of Insti­tu­tion­al Research. Cre­at­ed by infogr.am.com
Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 8.33.36 PM
A line graph of the aver­age ver­bal and math SAT scores for UConn Col­lege of Lib­er­al Arts and Sci­ences stu­dents over the past 12 years. Data was col­lect­ed from the UConn Office of Insti­tu­ion­al Reseach. Cre­at­ed on infogram.com: Graph­ic

SATs: the most dread­ed and nerve-wrack­ing test. End­less tutor­ing ses­sions, review book­lets and prepa­ra­tion for a test that will ulti­mate­ly decide your future- the easy high school days are com­ing to an end and the more dif­fi­cult col­lege days are approach­ing quick­ly. Each school requires dif­fer­ent scores for accep­tance between math, ver­bal and writ­ing. Of course, ivy league schools require the high­est, and oth­er uni­ver­si­ties and col­leges fall some­where in-between.

The Uni­ver­si­ty of Con­necti­cut, ranked #19 best pub­lic school in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, has an admis­sions office that is there to help stu­dents under­stand the require­ments need­ed to become a Husky. To much sur­prise, the SAT score is not the dom­i­nant fac­tor in an appli­ca­tion to UConn. “It’s more of an obser­va­tion opposed to say­ing “it takes this to get in.” It’s a holis­tic review,” said Nathan Fuerst, Direc­tor of Uni­ver­si­ty of Con­necit­cut Admis­sions. “We look at grade trends, sched­ules, resumes, essays, rec­om­men­da­tions- the essay is espe­cial­ly important.”

Since 2000, the aver­age SAT scores for stu­dents specif­i­cal­ly in the Col­lege of Lib­er­al Arts and Sci­ences (this includes majors such as Eng­lish, Eco­nom­ics, Com­mu­ni­ca­tions and Chem­istry) has changed, although not dras­ti­cal­ly. It is clear in the graph that the aver­age SAT score between math and ver­bal goes no low­er than 500 and no high­er than 700. “That is inter­est­ing to see,” said Eco­nom­ics major Col­lette Troy­ano. “I got a 720 in ver­bal, which was way above the 589 aver­age when I applied in 2011.”

On the oth­er hand, Tay­lor Whit­ing, a Com­mu­ni­ca­tions major said, “Im laugh­ing because I don’t know how I even got into UConn. I got a 480 in the read­ing and a 520 in math. Maybe it had some­thing to do with me being from Con­necti­cut.” Her scores were way below the aver­ages for when she applied in 2011.

The two high­est years of  aver­age SAT scores for CLAS were in 2010 and again in 2012. This is inter­est­ing too see and makes sense when look­ing at sta­tis­tics for the entire class that year as a whole. In 2010, the class of 2014 had the high­est SAT scores at UConn to date. Sim­i­lar­ly, the class of 2016 UConn Today named “the most aca­d­e­m­i­cal­ly accom­plished fresh­man class in UConn’s his­to­ry.” “This is so inter­est­ing to see because I nev­er knew my class broke records the year I came into UConn. I had real­ly high SAT scores,” said Jil­lian Crouse, junior Eng­lish major who applied to UConn in 2012.

It is impor­tant to under­stand that  admis­sion is com­pet­i­tive. The num­ber of appli­cants has gone up with for  2014 and 2015. The rea­son is the increase demand on stu­dents,” Fuerst said. “ There are more high­ly qual­i­fied stu­dents. The aver­age GPA has gone up for the incom­ing stu­dent- there is just qual­i­ty across the board.”

An inter­est­ing approach to take from this is to look at the aver­age SAT scores for oth­er Con­necti­cut col­leges. As shown on the graph, Trin­i­ty Col­lege and Yale Uni­ver­si­ty both require high­er  SAT scores. These require­ments are way above UConn’s. Oth­er schools such as Uni­ver­si­ty of Bridge­port and Uni­ver­si­ty of New Haven require low­er scores than UConn. It seems as though UConn falls some­where in the mid­dle with their aver­age scores.

By look­ing at the data, you can  see how the UConn Col­lege of Lib­er­al Arts and Sci­ences has high expec­ta­tions of prospec­tive stu­dents, along with the oth­er schools with­in UConn. “We real­ly eval­u­ate the stu­dent to UConn admis­sions as a whole, then we deter­mine if theyre eli­gi­ble for the major they’ve cho­sen,” Fuerst said. “Some schools with­in UConn have high­er demand, but if they are offered admis­sions to the school, they will most like­ly get into their request­ed program.”

Although these SAT scores are impor­tant, Fuerst con­tin­ued to stress the impor­tan­ta­nce of class rank, essays, extracur­ric­u­lar activ­i­ties and let­ters of rec­om­men­da­tion. These fac­tors may have helped Whit­ing with her accep­tance. On the oth­er hand, Troyano’s SAT scores put her way above aver­age in CLAS, so UConn put her into the Hon­ors Pro­gram. For high school seniors apply­ing to UConn CLAS for the fall: be sure to score around a 1212 to be amongst the aver­age in 2012, but also keep in mind those oth­er fac­tors of your application.

These sta­tis­tics also include the ACES pro­gram, which is for stu­dents who aren’t sure about what they want to do. “I am cur­rent­ly in the process of apply­ing to col­leges. UConn is one of my top choic­es, so I am glad to see that my scores are just about the aver­age from 2012,” said Toms Riv­er High School East senior Ryan Wasil­ick. “Hope­ful­ly this sta­tis­ti­cal trend con­tin­ues and I get accept­ed for fall 2015.”

Fuerst explained, “The real­i­ty of it is that in our appli­ca­tion pool most of our appli­cants are great stu­dents. We turn down stu­dents who will do great things oth­er places,” he said. “It’s just based on com­pet­i­tive stu­dent applications.”

Take a look at the UConn 2014 fact sheet for more infor­ma­tion about SAT scores and admissions.