For International students in America, which is a better choice?

Wenqing Xiang, a senior accounting major at UConn.  (Photo by Wenqing Xiang)
Wen­qing Xiang, a senior account­ing major at UConn. (Pho­to by Wen­qing Xiang)

These years, there is an increas­ing num­ber of Chi­nese stu­dents come to Amer­i­ca’s uni­ver­si­ty to study. Also, we all face a biggest prob­lem, after grad­u­at­ing from the uni­ver­si­ty, which is a bet­ter choice for us? Go back to Chi­na or stay in Amer­i­ca? There are a lot of Chi­nese stu­dents don’t want to face this prob­lem, they choose con­tin­ue being a grad­u­ate stu­dent in Amer­i­ca. Wen­qing Xiang, a senior account­ing major at UConn, she also faces the prob­lem: stay­ing or leaving.

As she said, she got some intern­ship oppor­tu­ni­ties in New York and Boston. She also told me Con­necti­cut is a good place to study and enjoy the life. How­ev­er, there is not much oppor­tu­ni­ty for the stu­dents like her to get an intern­ship opportunity.

She said, ” Because I am an inter­na­tion­al stu­dent, it is hard­er for me to get a job in Unit­ed States.” What she said reflects the sit­u­a­tion of inter­na­tion­al stu­dents indeed. Because inter­na­tion­al stu­dents don’t have the green card, there is not much com­pa­nies are will­ing to give inter­na­tion­al stu­dents a chance to work for them. That is the rea­son why there are more peo­ple want to pay a large amount of mon­ey to get the green card. Besides, Unit­ed States is a strong coun­try which has advanced tech­nolo­gies and is cen­ter of the econ­o­my of the world, that is the rea­son why peo­ple all want to stay in this country.

Because Con­necti­cut has the strong econ­o­my, and has the same salary lev­el as New York, Wen­qing thought Con­necti­cut is a good place to work. How­ev­er, because of the prob­lem of inter­na­tion­al stu­dents, she was will­ing to choose the big­ger city to work to get more opportunities.