Press Release:
Attorney General Tong Challenges Trump Fake Energy Emergency
Preceding Event:
On Jan. 20, 2025, the first day of his second term, President Donald Trump declared a “national energy emergency” with Executive Order 14156. With the emergency declaration as justification, permits and other necessary approvals were being expedited and granted on an emergency basis.
According to the press release, “At the direction of the president, federal agencies are bypassing or shortening critical reviews under the Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, and the Historic National Preservation Act for energy projects. These laws play a critical role protecting the environment and human health and protecting our heritage and places sacred to tribes.”
General Overview:
The press release, from May 5, 2025, says “Attorney General William Tong filed suit today alongside fourteen other states to challenge the president’s fake ‘energy emergency,’ declared to line the pockets of Big Oil by handing out free passes to pollute our environment.” The lawsuit says that U.S. energy production is at an all time high, contradicting the claim of an energy emergency. Additionally, the lawsuit says that it is in direct conflict with the wind energy EO as it simultaneously halts the production of energy while declaring that more energy is needed. At issue is the invocation of national emergency authorities and the alleged undermining of states’ rights by rushing through processes of approval when they will be affected by the projects.
“The attorneys general ask the court to declare the president’s directive, and the agencies’ implementation of it, illegal and stop them from issuing emergency permits under the executive order,” the press release said.
Connecticut Nexus:
According to the lawsuit, “On or around February 20, 2025, as media reports began to circulate around the Project List and the Army Corps of Engineers response to the Executive Order, the vast majority of projects on the Project List disappeared from the Permitting Database altogether, including projects that had been identified as needing individual permits, creating uncertainty about the Corp’s plans for these proposed projects. However, on February 13, 2025, the Corps emailed officials for the State of Connecticut indicating the Army Corps of Engineers ‘intent to establish emergency permitting procedures across the New England District, pursuant to the National Energy declaration in Executive Order 14156’.”
Date of filing:
May 9, 2025
Case #:
Case title:
State of Washington et al v. Trump et al
Plaintiffs: 15 states
- STATE OF WASHINGTON,
- STATE OF CALIFORNIA,
- STATE OF ARIZONA,
- STATE OF CONNECTICUT,
- ILLINOIS,
- STATE OF STATE OF MAINE,
- STATE OF MARYLAND,
- COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS,
- PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN,
- STATE OF MINNESOTA,
- STATE OF NEW JERSEY,
- STATE OF OREGON,
- STATE OF RHODE ISLAND,
- STATE OF VERMONT,
- STATE OF WISCONSIN
Defendants:
- DONALD TRUMP, in his official capacity as President of the United States
- DANIEL DRISCOLL , in his official capacity as Secretary of the Army ;
- LIEUTENANT GENERAL WILLIAM H. GRAH AM, JR., in his official capacity as Chief of Engineers and Commanding General of the U.S. Corps Army of Engineers;
- U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS ;
- TRAVIS VOYLES, in his official capacity as Vice Chair of the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation;
- ADVISORY COUNCIL ON HISTORIC PRESERVATION
Court:
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT WESTERN DISTRICT OF WASHINGTON AT SEATTLE
Status as of Dec. 1, 2025:
OPEN
Last filing: Nov. 13, 2025