Press Release:
Attorney General Tong Sues Trump Administration over Frozen Funds for Connecticut Schools
Preceding Event:
On June 30, 2025, state agencies received notice that the Department of Education would not be “obligating funds” for six programs normally funded. This money, appropriated by Congress, was set to be awarded to states for many K‑12 and adult education programs. President Donald Trump, Linda McMahon and the Office of Management of Budget decided to freeze this funding.
“Pursuant to federal statutory and regulatory requirements, each year the Department of Education makes around 25 percent of the funds for these programs available to states on or about July 1 in order to permit state and local educational agencies to plan their budgets for the academic year ahead,” the lawsuit said “The States have complied with the funding conditions set forth under the law and have State plans that the Department of Education has already approved. The States have received these funds, without incident, for decades, including as recently as last year”.
General Overview:
Attorney General William Tong joined a coalition of 25 states in suing the Trump administration over its decision to freeze $6.8 billion in funding for six longstanding programs, including over $53 million for Connecticut schools. Tong and the other plaintiffs asked the court to declare the freeze unlawful.
“Congress designed each of the Impacted Programs as a formula grant, meaning Defendants are ‘obliged to distribute funding to the Plaintiff States pursuant to a statutory formula’ set by Congress so long as the States satisfy the conditions set forth under the law,” the lawsuit said. There is no indication any of the states have not satisfied the conditions set forward in order to receive the funding.
Connecticut Nexus:
According to the press release from July 14, 2025, “We are talking about over $53 million already built into local school budgets in nearly every district in Connecticut for computers and technology, afterschool enrichment and field trips, social workers, English language instruction, teacher training, adult education and more.” Both Linda McMahon and Russell Vought, the director of the Office of Management and Budget, are Connecticut natives.
Date of filing:
July 14, 2025
Case #:
Case title:
State of California et al v. McMahon et al
Plaintiffs: 24 States and D.C.
- STATE OF CALIFORNIA;
- STATE OF COLORADO;
- COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS;
- STATE OF RHODE ISLAND;
- STATE OF ARIZONA;
- STATE OF CONNECTICUT;
- STATE OF DELAWARE;
- THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA;
- STATE OF HAWAI’I;
- STATE OF ILLINOIS;
- OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR ex rel. Andy Beshear, in his official capacity as Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky;
- STATE OF MAINE;
- STATE OF MARYLAND;
- STATE OF MICHIGAN;
- STATE OF MINNESOTA;
- STATE OF NEVADA;
- STATE OF NEW JERSEY;
- STATE OF NEW MEXICO;
- STATE OF NEW YORK;
- STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA;
- STATE OF OREGON;
- OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR ex rel. Josh Shapiro, in his official capacity as Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
- STATE OF VERMONT;
- STATE OF WASHINGTON;
- STATE OF WISCONSIN
Defendants:
- LINDA MCMAHON, in her official capacity as Secretary of Education;
- U.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION;
- RUSSELL VOUGHT, in his official capacity as Director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget;
- U.S. OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET;
- DONALD J. TRUMP, in his official capacity as President of the United States;
- and the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Court:
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF RHODE ISLAND
Status as of Dec. 1, 2025:
CLOSED — Terminated on Sept. 9, 2025
Joint motion to dismiss complaint is granted and case is terminated