A Good Online and Social Media Reputation Is Essential to a Career in Journalism

My LinkedIn page, a great place for a virtual resume and linking clips. Screenshot: Katie McWilliams
My LinkedIn page, a great place for a vir­tu­al resume and link­ing clips. Screen­shot: Katie McWilliams

Col­lege stu­dents are con­stant­ly told to mon­i­tor their online rep­u­ta­tion. It’s a strug­gle our par­en­t’s gen­er­a­tion did­n’t have to face. Twit­ter, Face­book, LinkedIn, Tum­blr and even seem­ing­ly old-school social media plat­forms like MySpace did­n’t exist and the strings that come attached did­n’t either. Arguably, I think that future jour­nal­ists need to heed their online rep­u­ta­tion even more than most careers.

In many ways, the career of a jour­nal­ist is built upon a good rep­u­ta­tion-online or offline. A jour­nal­ist who is cred­i­ble presents them­selves pro­fes­sion­al­ly in all aspects of life, but needs to be espe­cial­ly pro­fes­sion­al online as the jour­nal­is­tic prod­uct becomes increas­ing­ly host­ed on the web.

As an aspir­ing jour­nal­ist, I’ve tak­en my online rep­u­ta­tion very seri­ous­ly over the past cou­ple of years. I’ve always been care­ful online, but I real­ized when I added jour­nal­ism as a major that I’d need to be even more care­ful with my online pres­ence. When I Googled myself for this assign­ment, I was hap­py to see that there weren’t any “skele­tons in the clos­et” so to speak.

When you Google “Kath­leen McWilliams” with­out any qual­i­fi­er or advanced search details, all that comes up is my Twit­ter account, LinkedIn and the work I’ve done at The Dai­ly Cam­pus. For a basic search, that’s a pret­ty good set of results. My Twit­ter account is pro­fes­sion­al, but I do like to fol­low what Chris­tine Tay­lor called the “Social media rule of thirds.” Over the sum­mer at one of the intern lunch­es, Tay­lor explained that a good Twit­ter feed for a jour­nal­ist is 1/3 pure­ly work that is pro­duced by the jour­nal­ist, 1/3  inter­est­ing con­tent that you don’t pro­duce and 1/3 fun. I inter­pret­ed fun as PG fun. The last 1/3 of tweets could be about things you did over the week­end, fun­ny but work appro­pri­ate jokes or tweets about what you’re inter­est­ed in. As for LinkedIn and The Dai­ly Cam­pus, those search results reveal pure­ly pro­fes­sion­al things about me. They hold up my rep­u­ta­tion as an indi­vid­ual who works as a jour­nal­ist and is moti­vat­ed to find a career.

After fur­ther search­ing, how­ev­er, I learned that Googling my name with “UConn” in the search as well, brought up sig­nif­i­cant­ly more of my social media pres­ence. I found my old about.me page, which is embar­rass­ing­ly out­dat­ed, even if com­plete­ly pro­fes­sion­al.  I also found my per­son­al web­site which I cre­at­ed last year kathleenmcwilliams.com, and has yet to see the prod­uct of the things I’ve learned in this class.

Of course, oth­er peo­ple show up in when you Google “Kath­leen McWilliams.” But it’s no one too scary that would be dis­rep­utable to my rep­u­ta­tion. One is a bas­ket­ball play­er in Wash­ing­ton and the oth­ers don’t live in the Unit­ed States, pos­ing zero threat to my credibility.

Being a Conversation Is Part of the Package

Nicholas Kristof uses Twitter and Facebook to reach readers and start thought provoking conversations on many subjects. Often, Kristof shares the work of other news organizations starting conversations beyond just what he is writing about. Screengrab: Katie McWilliams
Nicholas Kristof uses Twit­ter and Face­book to reach read­ers and start thought pro­vok­ing con­ver­sa­tions on many sub­jects. Often, Kristof shares the work of oth­er news orga­ni­za­tions start­ing con­ver­sa­tions beyond just what he is writ­ing about. Screen­grab: Katie McWilliams

When I think about why I want­ed to be a jour­nal­ist my train of thought takes two direc­tions. There’s the fact that I am com­mit­ted to a life ling edu­ca­tion, and jour­nal­ism allows me to pur­sue top­ics I’m inter­est­ed as well as learn about new ideas. Then there’s the fact that I want­ed to tell, share and bring to light sto­ries that had­n’t been told. To me, being a con­ver­sa­tion leader starts with shar­ing a sto­ry. As jour­nal­ists, this is just part of the pack­age and a good jour­nal­ist should be com­fort­able start­ing the con­ver­sa­tion. Read­ers to look to jour­nal­ists as author­i­ties on the sub­jects they cov­er and the more con­ver­sa­tions jour­nal­ists start, the more cred­i­ble their work will seem.

I think about my jour­nal­is­tic role mod­els. On the larg­er scale I look up to Chris­tiane Aman­pour,  Nick Kristof, Bri­an Stel­ter (when he was at The New York Times) and Mau­reen Dowd.  All of these jour­nal­ists are con­stant­ly start­ing con­ver­sa­tions with their fol­low­ers and read­ers. In a sense, it’s what makes them great jour­nal­ists. They reach out to their read­er­ship and ask them what they think, enabling “reg­u­lar” peo­ple to have con­ver­sa­tions about Fer­gu­son, Sex­u­al Assault and the cri­sis in Washington.

I am not quite a con­ver­sa­tion leader yet, but I think that it’s impor­tant for a fledg­ling jour­nal­ist to think about how to start con­ver­sa­tions. I use my Twit­ter to post what I hope is inter­est­ing, rel­e­vant and impor­tant news and often pose ques­tions, but I don’t often get a lot of engage­ment. As an edi­tor at The Dai­ly Cam­pus, I con­stant­ly have to think about how to get our sto­ries talked about. I’m com­fort­able with this new role because I think it’s how the news indus­try will sur­vive. Start­ing a con­ver­sa­tion dri­ves traf­fic to your work and can only bring more eyes to impor­tant news.

How­ev­er, with this new role, we’ll have to be care­ful about how we lead con­ver­sa­tions. We can’t just start talk­ing about a sub­ject we’re not knowl­edge­able about. One of the great things about  Stel­ter and Aman­pour is that they embrace con­ver­sa­tion mak­ing on so many lev­els. On Twit­ter they post their work, ask ques­tions and encour­age engage­ment, but they also let fol­low­ers into the process of how they report.Like Gin­gras and Lehrman say in their arti­cle “Online Chaos,” jour­nal­ists have to pro­mote trans­paren­cy and cred­i­bil­i­ty that way.