Throw Your Name Into That Google Search Bar — Like What You See?

Your dig­i­tal foot­print can say a lot about who you are in the age of lit­tle to no privacy.

A photo taken from Nick Serrano's Facebook profile as he smiles for the camera at his head anchor desk for UCTV channel 14 News (Photo Cred: Nick Serrano)
A pho­to tak­en from Nick Ser­ra­no’s Face­book pro­file as he smiles for the cam­era at his head anchor desk for UCTV chan­nel 14 News (Pho­to Cred: Nick Serrano)

As for my search results, I was fair­ly pleased and also a lit­tle sur­prised. Some of the first results that came up were my LinkedIn account, my Face­book account, my Pike rush videos, and some vines that I had done well over a year ago — that was the shock­ing part. I had com­plete­ly for­got­ten I even had the account, not to men­tion pub­lic along with UConn in the bio area of my pro­file. I have noth­ing inap­pro­pri­ate on there, just impres­sions of celebri­ties I found com­i­cal to do at the time.

I think my my dig­i­tal foot­print reflects well on my rep­u­ta­tion as a jour­nal­ist. It showed I am well versed with a few out­lets of social media and enjoy the occa­sion­al Jack Nichol­son or Christo­pher Walken impres­sion. Always con­duct­ing myself in a pro­fes­sion­al man­ner, both online and off how­ev­er, is extreme­ly impor­tant to one’s image. Which is what I con­sis­tent­ly try to do when post­ing things online — since I do not want some­one who does­n’t know me per­son­al­ly get the wrong impression.

Audi­ence Engagement 

In the jour­nal­ism field, how you engage your audi­ence is essen­tial. I do wish to be a con­ver­sa­tion­al leader, and to do that you have to be intel­li­gent and aware of what is going on in the world. If I hap­pen to become a TV head anchor one day, I want to let my audi­ence know I’m not just a talk­ing head — but also will­ing to con­stant­ly inter­act and talk with my fans via Face­book or Twit­ter. Show­ing you care is one of the pil­lars in keep­ing your audi­ence engaged.