Information Highway (No Tolls Ahead) : Utopia or Allusion?

Fbi_anti_piracy_warning
The Anti-Pira­cy Warn­ing (APW) Seal has been approved by the U.S. Attor­ney Gen­er­al as an offi­cial insignia of the FBI and the U.S. Depart­ment of Jus­tice. The pur­pose of the APW Seal is to help detect and deter crim­i­nal vio­la­tions of U.S. intel­lec­tu­al prop­er­ty laws by edu­cat­ing the pub­lic about the exis­tence of these laws and the author­i­ty of the FBI to enforce them. Any copy­right hold­er who com­plies with the con­di­tions of 41 CFR Sec­tion 128–1.5009 can use the Seal (Pho­to cour­tesy AP Images).

The Film

After watch­ing the doc­u­men­tary “Steal This Film II,” I was left ask­ing myself, “what about the oth­er side of the sto­ry”?  As an aspir­ing jour­nal­ist, I refuse to be naive to the fact that this film has a spe­cif­ic agen­da.  Free­dom of infor­ma­tion is essen­tial for jour­nal­ists, but I also think of my own cre­ativ­i­ty and ideas, and won­der if they have a value?

In the film they com­pare the inter­net to high­way of free-flow­ing ideas, and once mate­r­i­al has leaked out, there is no going back, that this free enter­prise can bring cre­ativ­i­ty and reach mar­kets oth­er­wise set aside for the “well to do” like suc­cess­ful music com­posers and artist.

What the film does not cov­er, are the thou­sands of movie-indus­try employ­ees, such as elec­tri­cians, car­pen­ters, set-design­ers, secu­ri­ty, cater­ers, etc. that go into the pro­duc­tion of these films that are being pirat­ed for free.  These employ­ees, go to work, and expect to earn a pay­check at the end of their work week.  If movies con­tin­ue to be pirat­ed, and soci­ety accept­ed the fact that they can now watch movies for free, who would be respon­si­ble for pay­ing these employ­ees, or hav­ing movies pro­duced in the first place?

In a July arti­cle by the Guardian, they inves­ti­gat­ed the threat to the movie indus­try by pira­cy.  In it they dis­cov­ered that ‚“up to a quar­ter of a mil­lion jobs will be at risk if noth­ing is done about copy­right infringe­ment in the UK by 2015.”

This exam­ple can be used across a mul­ti­tude of plat­forms, includ­ing jour­nal­ism, some­one has to pay the bills, some­one has to print the pages, have an office space to design the web­site, and be able to pay to keep the lights on, unless you’re “The Grime Reaper” (a young boy and rap­per inter­viewed in “Steal This Film II), in that case, you prob­a­bly don’t have to wor­ry about bills, because you most like­ly still live at home with mom and dad.

Appli­ca­tion to Journalism

In the 21st cen­tu­ry, the news has now spread to a mul­ti­tude of plat­forms, print, web, radio, and tele­vi­sion.  Sites like, The Huff­in­g­ton Post among oth­ers have “aggre­gat­ed” the news and made the news more acces­si­ble to all.  But at what cost?

Of course, as a jour­nal­ist I want as many peo­ple to read my arti­cles.  Hope­ful­ly, I’ll be writ­ing about issues I care pas­sion­ate­ly about, and the more read­ers the greater aware­ness it can bring.  I also want to own a house, take vaca­tions, raise a fam­i­ly, and maybe one day have enough to retire.  If my ideas and arti­cles are avail­able for free, where is the mon­ey going to come from?  I think if news orga­ni­za­tions want to “aggre­gate” news from oth­er sources, and put it on their own site, they should have to pay to use it.

Fairey V. AP

Some­times life is sim­ple.  As sim­ple as a pho­to­graph.  Fairey copied the AP’s pho­to­graph and prof­it­ed (sub­stan­tial­ly) because of it.  He is guilty of copy­ing the image.  Fairey, him­self is a hyp­ocrite.  He tried to sue Texas artist Bax­ter Orr for copy­ing his work, and adding a sur­geon’s mask.

This artistic rendition of President Obama caused a law suit between artist Shephard Fairey and the Associated Press, who claimed that Fairey profited off their image. Photo: AP
This artis­tic ren­di­tion of Pres­i­dent Oba­ma caused a law suit between artist Shep­hard Fairey and the Asso­ci­at­ed Press, who claimed that Fairey prof­it­ed off their image. Pho­to: AP